In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 90
Online now 76 Record: 7245 (2/26/2012)
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
First year I have ever been able to watch all day long and it was great! As you all know, I am just douche bag, loser idiot when it comes to basketball, but I learned some things today.
1. Just like I 're-learn' every year, strength of schedule/conference makes a big difference. A 29-5 New Mexico team is NOTHING at all like a 25-8 Michigan State team. A 23-8 Marquette team and a 26-8 Oregon team are TOTALLY different. The big conferences are VASTLY superior and play VASTLY superior competition all year long. That does not mean that an individual program within a weak conference cannot be great (like Louisville, Florida or VCU) but it does mean that all the hype about the Mountain West, Atlantic 10, Big East, Conference USA, Ohio Valley, etc is utter BULL SHIT. If you don't play in the ACC, Big 10, PAC-12 or our little brother, the Big 12, well.... your conference ain't shit. See: New Mexico, Missouri, Valparaiso, Pittsburgh, UNLV.
2. PAC12 grossly under rated/Direct TV mess has crippled our conferences reputation. None of the talking heads saw any of the PAC12 tournament. Their statements were soooo ignorant (excepting Barkley). 'Parrom has been a sixth man for his entire career', Oregon is 'more athletic than anyone expected' or my favorite from today; "coach Montgomery took Stanford to the tournament a 'couple' of years".
3. Any transgression Doug Gottlieb ever has committed against Arizona was forgiven today with his Duke comment during our game. "I've never seen so many charges and blocking calls, somewhere a Duke guy is very jealous". Priceless! A corollary: Arizona can win with horribly biased officiating against us. Who'd have thunk? Worse officiating than any PAC-12 game. My ref buddy agreed.
4. Point Guards are everything. I'd revise every single pick I have, if I could, solely based on PG play. Harvard's Siyani Chambers is really damn good. He makes every player on the floor better. Everything flows through him. He may not have single handedly beat New Mexico, but without him, there is no way they win. He is special. Steve Nash at Santa Clara special. Steve Kerr at Arizona Special. We have an answer for every other player they have, but if we are not careful he will rip us to shreds, like Nash did. Kind if reminded me of Damon Stoudamire in his decision making but plays and looks more like Hazzard (fast).
5. Full court pressing works. Somebody please tell coach Miller.
6. 8-9 match ups suck ass and are bracket killers. I hope every 8 and 9 team out there loses at their first opportunity.
7. If our dog Waffles rings the bell to go outside in the last five minutes of a tight game I will end up cleaning up poo on the carpet if I don't pause the game and let him out.
8. My red, white and blue Gonzaga shirt is more lucky than any of my UofA clothing. It will not get washed until we lose.
This post has been edited 2 times, most recently by wineknow 13 months ago
"Arizona has no tradition" - Bill Walsh
"We have a tradition of kicking Bill Walsh's ass" - Teddy Bruschi
An actual up vote granted!
I'm glad you now see the light on the Pac-12. The conference has been competitive all season and while Arizona should not have lost as many league games as they did, I hope you now see that if Arizona doesn't bring its "A" game in conference it's very easy to lose to quality opponents.
I agree about your Point Guard comments. Arizona's best teams have always been led by great guard play, particularly at the point guard position. The 1994 and 1997 Final Four teams had excellent guards. Kerr and Muehlbach were excellent in '88 and Jason Gardner, while not an NBA prospect, was an excellent point guard and played well with Gilbert Arenas.
Lyons isn't a pure point guard, but he is a very capable "guard" and we witnessed that tonight with his dribble drives and spot up shooting (off the pass). No doubt Arizona doesn't have the guard play this year compared to previous Final Four Arizona teams, they do have very good guards when compared to the competition and if Lyons is scoring (and shooting efficiently) and we can somehow get Johnson some looks in transition the Cats will remain tough.
National Basketball Recruiting Analyst
Football Writers Association of America
U.S. Basketball Writers Association
WINE...you know what they say
If still WATCHING after 4 hours...call a Dr.
L O L
This post was edited by Mrzipityduda 13 months ago
I just love that we are overlooked and not given any respect.
Maybe I am wrong, but it sure seems to me that it takes a lot of pressure off he team.
Hope Vegas has us -1
We are a 10 point favorite in Vegas
"Any transgression Doug Gottlieb ever has committed against Arizona was forgiven"
I agree with that - his Duke line was right on the money.
Good stuff wine. My kids would love your dogs name. Hehe.. Waffles...
Time to nut up or shut up
Arizona should cover that quite easily imo.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports